"Design a House with AutoCad Architecture 2018"
Published - Copyright© 2019 by Pantelis Skourtis
2.4.5 - Create the Dormer Roof
Design the roof of the dormer.
You will first design a single slope roof using as guide the walls of the dormer, you created in the previous chapter (Fig.184.108.40.206). You can download the drawing of this polyline (kmghk) by clicking here: dwg for Fig. 220.127.116.11. On the website you will be directed, locate the file roof_outline.zip on category Custom Drawings/ Roof - Attic, click on this file name to download it, then unzip and save it in the folder: C:\\ACA\My_projects\house21_190\downloads\roofAttic\, under the name dormer_walls.dwg.
The roof will have as thickness 0.200 m, and as plate height 1.700 m.
- Open the Design Tool Palette, right click on the tool Roof and select Apply Tool Properties to > Line work and Walls (Fig.2.4.4.x).
- Alternatively, you can select the tool Roof on Ribbon > Home tab > Build panel > Roof Slab drop-down > Roof.
- At the prompt Select object: select on the attic plan the walls of the dormer (Fig.18.104.22.168), and press ENTER.
- At the prompt Erase layout geometry? [Yes/No] : press ENTER and then Esc. The roof on the walls (ab, bc, cd, da) of the attic have been designed (Fig.22.214.171.124).
C.- Define the roof properties
Select the roof, right click and select Properties. The Properties palette will open and display the properties of the selected roof (Fig.2.4.13). With the roof selected look in the properties palette and:
- Set the thickness of the roof to 0.200.
- For Edge cut select Plump, as shown in Fig. 2.4.13.
- For the Shape field choose Single slope.
- Set the Overhang to 0.200, it is the projection of the roof of the outer wall.
- The Plate height, which is the height at which placed the base of the roof (Fig. 2.4.19), set at 1.700, which is also the height of the walls.
- Set Slope = 25.00 and pres Esc. The dormer roof has been created as you can see in Fig.2.4.20.
D.- Convert the roof to gable roof
The roof you designed is a single slope roof, for better appearance and adapt it to the dormer, you will convert this roof to a Gable roof (Fig.2.4.22).
• Using the View Cube, display the attic plan in Top View, select the dormer roof, notice the points handle (grips) which will appear in the plan of the dormer roof.
• Click with the mouse to point (1), it will turn red, and drag it to the point (3) (Fig.2.4.21). In the same way drag the point (2) in to point (4) and press ENTER. The roof became a Gable roof (Fig.2.4.22).
If you have a problem converting the single slope roof to a gable roof, you can currently hide the walls that pass through the points (3) and (4), convert the roof and then unhide them.
For a better appearance of the roof plan view and to avoid problems during the conversion of the dormer roof to a gable one, set on the cut plane the cut height = 400, Display Below Range = -3000 and Display Above Range = 3000 (Fig.2.1.31.)
Until now you have created the walls and the gable roof that consist the dormer. Using the Orbit tool, you can have a bottom view of the roof, as you can see in Fig.126.96.36.199.
To apply command Orbit:
Ribbon > View > on panel Navigate > select Orbit. Keep pressed the left button of your mouse, and move it, until to have the view you wish.
Convert Roof to Roof Slabs
To create the dormer on the attic roof, as shown in Fig.2.4.5.x, you have first to convert the dormer roof from Roof to Slab Roof, to be able the opening of a hole on the roof slab. To do this:
- Select the dormer roof, on the Ribbon > on the Modify panel > select Convert.
- In the task pane "Roof Slab Style" that will appear: For Roof Slab Style: Select the Standard
- Then check the box next to "Erase Layout Geometry", click OK and press ENTER twice. The dormer roof will be converted into Roof slab, consisting of two separate Roof slabs.
Add the dormer on the attic roof
The dormer consisting of the perimeter walls and two sloped slabs of the roof has been created. Now you will add this dormer on the front slab of the roof.
- Ensure that the walls and the slabs of the roof dormer, penetrating the slab of the roof, and are in the correct position.
- Select the slab of the roof, where you add the dormer, and on the Ribbon > Dormer panel >select Add (Fig.188.8.131.52).
- Select all the objects that form the dormer (walls and slabs of roof dormer), and press ENTER.
- At the prompt Slice the walls with the roof slab [Yes / No] : press ENTER, to cut off parts of the walls, which is under the slab of the floor and press Esc.
- Delete the wall (dc) in the back side of the dormer. The creation of the dormer completed as shown in Fig.184.108.40.206.
- Remove the back wall of the dormer.
- In the internal view of the attic (Fig.220.127.116.11), you will notice that it has opened a hole in the roof slab and removed the walls beneath the dormer roof.
What is needed now, is to extend the walls of the attic to the roof, and then create a window size 800 x 400, at the top of the wall.
Extension of the walls up to the dormer roof
To extend the front wall (ab) of the dormer to the roof:
- Select the wall (ab) of the dormer.
- In the Ribbon > on the Modify panel > select Roof / Floor line > Modify Roof Line (Fig.2.4.13).
- At the prompt: RoofLine [Offset / Project to polyline / Generate polyline / Auto project / Reset]: right click the mouse and select Auto project.
- At the prompt Select objects: select the two roof slabs of roof dormer, press ENTER, and then press Esc to complete the command. Repeat the same procedure for the side walls of the dormer (ad) and (bc). The walls were extended until the roof dormer.
Create a window on the dormer
You will create a projected - window on the front wall of the dormer. This window will have a width of 0.800 m, height 0.500 m and head height 1.700 m.
- Choose from the Windows tool palette (Fig. 2.21) the window style Awning. In the 'Properties Palette' that will appear (Fig.2.3.17), you will see the style properties of the window you just selected. In the Properties palette edit the properties as follows:
- In category Dimensions, enter Width = 0.800, Height = 0.500, Measure to = Outside of frame, Swing angle = 45, Sill height = 1.200. In Category Location select position = Center. With selected the style Awning window,
- At the prompt Select Wall, grid assembly or ENTER : select the front wall (ab).
- At the prompt Insert point or [….]: Select a point at the middle of the Wall (ab) and press ENTER. The window has been designed and the dormer will have the form you see in Fig.18.104.22.168.
Save this drawing under the name h21155_roof in the folder customDrawings\roofAttic you have created, its full path will be: C:\ACA\my_projects\house21_155\customDrawings\roof\h21155_roofAttic.
You will use this drawing in chapter 5, to create the construct drawings of the project. By now you have designed the floor plans of the building, ie basement floor plan, ground floor plan, First floor plan and roof floor plan that includes and the attic.
The next stage is to create presentation drawings - view drawings - including the 3d view of the building. You could create the 3d view plan, using the plans you designed as external references, and place them at various levels. From this 3d view plan you will create the sections and the elevations of the building. In the designing of this building, you will not to use this method. AutoCad Architecture, gives you the method and tools to organize your projects and to relate the plans to each other.
AutoCad Architecture provides automatic features that help you to manage, the representation and costruction of the building. You will follow this method to manage the drawings of this project in Chapter 4. “Drawing Management”.
For the outline of the first floor plan, for project house21-190, you will draw a polyline in the shape and dimensions as shown in Fig.22.214.171.124, and under the name 'First floor Outline'.
Open the drawing file you created in the earlier lesson 2.2.1 - groundFloor - Create the Outline, with the name h21190_groundFloor_outline.dwg, and you have saved it in path C:/ACA/myProjects/house21-190/h21190_groundFloor_outline.dwg.
You will use this drawing as the base to draw the first floor outline as shown in Fig.126.96.36.199.
If you wish, you can download this file of the h21190_groundFloor_outline.zip drawing by clicking here: downloads dwg,
on the page where you will be directed, on category Custom Drawings/ground floor locate the file h21190_groundFloor_outline.zip, click on the file name to download it, then unzip and save it under the name h21190_firstFloor_outline.dwg, and open it with AutoCAD Architecture.